Wednesday, December 8, 2010

I must have a pride problem...

... because the Lord keeps humbling me!

It was one of those days again.  And it's only half over.  I think the beginning was when I was bathing Calvin in his little tub on my bathroom counter and he pee-peed in a large arc across the bathroom and got Measle's boots, leggings, shirt, and Bible study, as well as the bathroom floor wet with pee-pee.  I thought it was kind of funny, but Measle did not.  I stopped it with the washcloth, but when I removed the washcloth, he started right up again.  Measle left my bathroom greatly offended and crying buckets on her way to change clothes.

Or maybe it really started before that when Twinkle Toes reported to me that Queen climbed up into her top bunk this morning (no ladder).

However, I managed to get the kids loaded into the car for Bible study, but we were running late and Twinkle Toes couldn't find her CBS notebook.  Then as we're driving down the road, I hear from the back-back of the car, "Mom, Queen has a knife!"  Queen (2) got into the car without her shoes, but she managed to grab a knife and the little container of icing that comes in the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls tube on her way out the door. (Yes, I let my kids eat those awful things occasionally.  Hey, I just had a baby- don't judge.  I need all the help I can get.  I, on the other hand, don't touch them with a ten foot pole.  I eat my Total Raisin Bran every morning, which is why I was able to wear my regular size 4 jeans today.  Hooray!)  Anyway, she was using the knife to scrape around the edges and get the last little bit of icing out of the container and into her mouth.  Once she finished off the icing, she evidently found other uses for the knife, which is why I was hearing screams coming from the back-back as we were driving to Bible study.  One of the older kids managed to disarm her, much to her chagrin.  Then the screams turned to, "I want my KNIFE!"  Not exactly the kind of sentence you expect to hear coming out of a two year old's mouth.  Note to self:  move Queen's carseat up to within my reach again.

Then when we arrived at the church I realized I hadn't brought the diaper bag.  I couldn't believe I was going to be there for two hours and one nursing session, without any diapers!  I guess this isn't the first time I've done this, because even my "spare" was missing from the console in my car.  Poor Calvin!  We made it, though- and without any leaks!

Then on the way home, I stopped off at Braum's to buy some milk.  This is one of those little markets where you can park your car right in front of the store and be in and out in less than five minutes.  So... I gave the kids specific instructions about being quiet and orderly and keeping their hands to themselves and left the big kids in charge.  I could see several of them up out of their seats as I was walking back to the car 2 minutes later with the milk and everyone had a slightly different version of what was happening and whose fault it was.  What's so discouraging is that we've been praying this week that the Lord would give us a greater love for Him and one another.  I calmly, if a bit dejectedly, explained to the kids that trying to get their siblings into trouble so they wouldn't get ice cream (oops- I'm revealing too much of myself in this post!) was not loving them.  Then we talked about what it looks like to "be lovers of selves" rather than loving others.  And then we talked about how if we say we love God, but don't show love to our brothers and sisters in Christ, then we're liars and the truth is not in us.  Is any of this getting through to my children?! 

So, that was my crazy day, thus far.  I did manage to catch Calvin in a bit of a grin, though.  It's not quite a smile, but we're getting close. 



Oh- and I learned yesterday that Calvin's just under 15 lbs and 25 inches.  At not quite 2 months old!  He must be getting enough to eat!  I think I have his good appetite to thank for my rapid weight loss.  That goes a long way to helping me appreciate the middle of the night nursing sessions! 

Thank you Lord for blessing me with such wonderful children.  Help me to be faithful to patiently and lovingly train them up in the gospel, wisdom, and guidance of Your Word!  And thank you for keeping me humble.  Apart from You, there is nothing good in me!  Amen

3 comments:

  1. It was a good thing someone managed to take the knife out of Queen's hand. Just when we think we have things all figured out. Oh, the things the Lord will do to humble us. Thank you, Lord, for children. They are furthering us on down the road of sanctification.
    He is doing the same thing with me and my children, only in different life situations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just keep sowing those seeds. The Lord is responsible for the growth, and it will come in season...but I know how you feel.

    Thanks for the giggles though. I've experience a number pee-pee arcs, though none ever hit a sibling. I had to laugh at that one.

    Thanks for your encouragement, too. I appreciate it.

    To order my soap, just send an email to homeschooldawn (at) gmail (dot) com with the names and quantities you want. I will email you back your total and my paypal email. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, your day sounded a little like mine, minus the pee and diapers :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.