Wednesday, September 15, 2010

What is biblical homeschooling? Part 7- Teaching Truth


Truth wasn't on my initial list of subjects, but I decided to include it after reading an article by John MacArthur in The Master's Seminary Journal about the perspicuity of Scripture.  There are many today within the Evangelical church that question whether biblical doctrine can be held with certainty.  It's very in vogue in this post-modern, relativistic culture to deny the existence of absolute truth.  Not only is this dangerous for the church, but it's wreaking disasterous effects in education, as well.  I mean, what's the point of studying anything, if truth is unobtainable?!  So, this is why I decided to take a little detour and look at what the Bible has to say about truth.  Does absolute truth exist?  Can it be known with certainty? 

Sanctify them by Your truth.  Your Word is truth.  John 17:17

Either we believe the Bible or we don't.  I understand non-believers questioning everything, but according to this passage Christians should be able to rest in the confidence that God's Word is true.  As Christian homeschooling parents, we must teach our children that absolute truth exists and can be found in the pages of Scripture.

Why is the truth important, anyway?  Does it really matter if we know the truth or if we just hold one of many respectable opinions?

Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed.  And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."  John 8:31-32

Free to do what?  Free to do whatever we want?  Free to gloat over our own knowledge?

Jesus answered them, "Most assuredly," I say to you, "whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.  And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever.  Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."  John 8:34-36

Jesus goes on to point out that those who are not His disciples are children of their father the devil, "and the desires of your father the devil you want to do.  He was a murderer from the beginning and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him.  When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his very own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.  But because I tell you the truth, you do not believe Me."  John 8:44-45

In other words, only those who are Christ's disciples and abide in His Word are free to obey the Lord.  Those who are not His disciples belong to the devil and are slaves to sin.  The truth frees us from bondage to sin.  I want to teach my children the truth, don't you?

The truth is found in Scripture.  We must give our children a biblical worldview so they can recognize the lies of Satan and of the world.  Teaching our children where to find the truth is the essential foundation for biblical homeschooling.  If we leave out this important truth training, all else will be in vain. 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Celee!
    I just spent some time catching up on your blog. Life has been crazy around here, and I have had no computer time!
    Anyway....
    love the Biblical homeschooling theme! As usual, you are so eloquent, and you are communicating my ideas...if I could get my thoughts on paper!

    God's truth is our standard. We only know God's truth by studying His Word.

    I wholeheartedly agree with your posts about reading the "questionable" books. We also discuss and read about the other religions, pointing out why we believe the Bible instead. We examine everything in light of God's Word.

    Love what you said about the character in The Witch of Blackbird Pond (haven't read it, but my daughter has)...the comment about the Wii in youth group

    I also like your laundry room. The wallpaper is so bright and cheery! I use a dishpan for each child. As I fold them, I put each child's clothes in his dishpan. My youngest can just now put his up, but until he could, someone else just did it for him or helped him.

    I think that's all, and now my 4yo is crying for me to hold him!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.