Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Ever had one of those days?


Ever have one of those days that you just can't remember everything you're supposed to be doing? Well, I'm having one of those years.

I've missed a kid's well check-up (on her birthday, no less) and two hair appointments lately. You know, the kind of miss where I don't even realize I've missed it until the end of the day, or worse, several days later.

A few months ago I dropped off my older kids at swim practice and in a weak moment decided to drive through a local coffee shop and get a frap. When I got to the window to pay I realized I didn't even have my purse with me. How embarassing. The guy was so nice that he just gave it to me anyway and said I could catch them the next time. I was so embarassed that I rushed home immediately and got my purse then drove back to the shop and paid for my drink. He didn't seem surprised to see me.

Then, although it seems impossible for this to happen to the same person more than once, I repeated my faux-paus at a different coffee shop in a different part of town a few weeks later. This time there was a young girl at the window and she wasn't so sure what to do with me. I really wanted, no needed, that drink so I pulled out all the stops. I told her I'd write an I.O.U. and she looked at me like, "Huh?" I told her the manager knew me (ok, so this wasn't my first or second frap) and I would definitely be back to pay for my drink. She finally relented and did seem a little surprised when I was back with my purse in 30 minutes.

When I shared these stories with my mom, shortly after they happened, she said she could top them. She was at Walmart with a cart full of groceries when she realized she didn't have her wallet. She had been there an hour and didn't have time to go back later- it was now or never. Since she was always running into people she knows at Walmart, she decided that there must be someone in the store who could help her. So she started cruising up and down the aisles looking for a friend. It wasn't long before she found my across-the-street neighbor and begged the use of her credit card. My neighbor laughed and said she knew where to find her if she had to come looking.

Have you ever had one of those days?

2 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness. That is so funny about both you and your mom! I always have this panic when I am checking out at the store that I don't have my wallet, but so far, I always have!
    Before we moved, I could have found someone in any store that could have helped me out! That is a good feeling of home. Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I was the only one who did things like that. It is good to know I am not alone or crazy, I am just a mother of 5 beautiful children. They were each worth every brain cell! LOL! :-) Shannon

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.