Sunday, August 8, 2010

No guts no glory!


One of the many books I've been reading lately is One Million Arrows by Julie Ferwerda.  Essentially, the book is about purposeful parenting for the glory of God.  I love the over-arching theme of the book, and though I don't always agree with the methods employeed by the "success stories" chronicled by Ms. Ferwerda,  I've been challenged by her to adopt more of a ministry mindset for our family.

I have such a heart for the orphan, for widows, and for the lost, but find myself looking on from the sidelines more than I actually get into the game. 

"Will we face this call with excitement and courage?  Or will we shrink away in fear, missing out on Wild Goose bumps?  'You know what's lacking?' Mark Batterson asks.  'Good old-fashioned guts!  We need people who are more afraid of missing opportunities than making mistakes.  People who are more afraid of lifelong regrest than temporary failure.  People who dare to dream the unthinkable and attempt the impossible.'"  (Ferwerda p. 35 quoting Mark Batterson in Wild Goose Chase pp 23-24)

That quote really got to me.  The kids and I took part in a nursing home ministry for a few months and we loved it!  The elderly looked forward to seeing the kids each Saturday and I saw the Lord working in my kids' hearts through our minsitry efforts.  Then our friends who headed up the ministry moved and another church took over.  The kids and I quit going and I've really missed it.  Just like in the quote above, we're the ones missing out.  The Lord will send someone to do His work.  He doesn't need me or my family.  But I want to be used by Him.  I want to be available.  I don't want to be a coward. 

My prayer is that the Lord would use our family to glorify Himself- despite my fears and insecurities. 

"For it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure."  Philippians 2:13

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.