Saturday, May 29, 2010

90 Day Bible Summer Reading Challenge- T minus 2 and counting and none too soon!

I think I'm all ready for the summer reading challenge. I bought a new Bible yesterday. My first New Living Translation. My mom did her reading in this translation last time around and said she really liked it. I thought it'd be fun to use a translation that's new to me. As you can see it's very small making it convenient to take everywhere with me, and I'm in the process of recording my reading schedule in the inside cover.

It's 7:30 Saturday morning and Monk just came downstairs looking for his 90 Day Bible. I'm thrilled that Monk (11 next week) and Twinkle Toes (9) have decided to try the challenge, too. I was having them read 1.5-2 hrs per day anyway, so they decided rather than read all the many biographies I bought (Trailblazer series) they'd read the Bible instead. I'm very excited about our reading as a family together this summer. Big D says he's going to try it again, too. (So hard for a guy who loves digesting a few verses at a time! I think he spent a year preaching through the Sermon on the Mount. I'll have to encourage him to just keep reading and go back for further study later.) I think it will be great for my family to be reading the Bible together, well separately, but together. And I think it may be none too soon.
A friend of mine was teaching Twinkle Toes in SS one day about a year or two ago. She was going to give a lesson on following Christ, not different teachers like Paul or Apollos so she asked everyone if they knew who Apollos was. Twinkle Toes immediately shot her hand up and when called on replied, "Wasn't he the one who fought Rocky?" Funny, but sad. A similar incident happened yesterday. We're driving along jamming out to a Jamie Soles Psalms CD singing "Offer right sacrifices and put your trust in Yahweh... Lift up the light of Your face upon us, O Yahweh!" when Measle Bug (6) who loves to sing and is just belting it out, pauses mid-song and says, "Who's Yahweh, anyway?" At this point Monk who's sitting in the front seat turns to me and shakes his head saying, "That's not a good sign, mom." I explained to Measle that in our Bible (NKJ) Yahweh is usually translated the Lord. That she understood. Kind of defeats the point of singing praise songs when you don't know whom you're praising, doesn't it? Maybe I should be reading the whole Bible aloud to my little ones this summer! On second thought, I think I'll save that for a future challenge since I read so much faster in my head and the vision of making BabyLu (19 months) sit on her blanket for an hour and a half per day is more than a little daunting.
If you're doing the challenge, please let me know. We can try to encourage one another this summer. We will be going out of town several times so I know I'll need to get a little ahead in preparation for those trips. Monk is going to swim camp in a few weeks so that's why he decided to start a few days ahead of time. I think he's reading day 3 today. Twinkle Toes will also go to camp, but her camp includes quiet time in the schedule so she'll be taking her Bible along with her. I know we can all do it. Since I've done it before, with morning sickness the last month or so, I know I can do it again. I'm looking forward to allocating a larger portion of my day to the reading of God's Word. Like my husband said last time, why don't Christians read the Bible this much all the time? Just think, we could read the Bible through 4 times every year! I know it could change our lives. God's Word is living and powerful- and it will change us. Join me and let's immerse ourselves in the Bible this summer. I can't wait to see what the Lord teaches us and works in us through this challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.