Saturday, May 29, 2010

90 Day Bible Challenge- not exactly on a budget this time around.

I know it's possible to do the 90 day Bible challenge without spending any money. But this time I splurged. Twinkle Toes (9) wants to do it and said she needed a small Bible with her name engraved on it. Ok, I thought, that doesn't cost much. Then when I was in the bookstore I saw this nifty little PDA with the Bible on it that had Monk's name written all over it. Monk (almost 11) is a slow reader, though he has great comprehension. It has been taking him over 2 hrs to read each 90 day Bible assignment. While I'm hopeful that his reading speed will improve with time and practice I'm also aware that he spent over an hour per day reading all year, so it's not exactly like he hasn't been practicing. Also, I wanted to encourage him since his love language is gadgets (remember he's my video gamer). It didn't take him long to get it all figured out. He says he'll use it to read the selection most days and only listen on the weekends. I think that's reasonable.

Monk's gadget set me back quite a bit, but I didn't make it out of the store without making one more major purchase. I remember Kimberly at Raising Olives saying she listened to the Bible on CD when she went out of town while doing the 90 day Bible challenge. We've never owned the Bible in any other media format, since we enjoy reading it so much, but I thought this might really help us as we travel this summer. Also, my husband spends so much time studying the Bible throughout his week, I thought listening might be a nice way for him to be able to participate in the challenge without being tempted to cross reference and break out the commentaries. It might be a nice way for him to unwind at the end of the day (a substitute for the news and the economy blogs he listens to??). I'll let you know how it works for us.

So while it's definitely possible to do the 90 day Bible challenge without all these tools, I'm hoping they will encourage my family to stick with it through the summer. And I've learned a lesson, as well. Stay out of bookstores!

2 comments:

  1. Hi....I am going to do the 90 day challenge for the first time and I am struggling with what version of the Bible to use. Do you have any suggestions? I would LOVE to hear from you! Thanks, Nicki
    daveandnickiskids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally I use the NKJV, but I used the official 90 day Bible last time which is NIV and this time I'm using the New Living translation. I thought it'd be fun to try a different translation.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.