Saturday, November 7, 2009

Adopted by God

This is really a follow-up to my theology of adoption post. There’s so much in the Bible about adoption that just a few posts do not do it justice. In fact, it could be argued that to understand adoption is to understand salvation. The actions of a parent during the adoptive process mirror those of our Heavenly Father toward those He saves: seeking, choosing, redeeming, nurturing, maturing, and even disciplining. Our heavenly Father even makes us heirs right alongside His begotten Son.

“But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, ‘Abba, Father!’ Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.” Galations 4:4-6

Amazing, isn’t it? We, who were once slaves to sin, now are heirs of God through the atoning work of Christ on the cross. What a gracious God and Savior we have! If we are adopted by God and joint-heirs with Christ, wouldn't that make us brothers and sisters of the Lord Jesus Christ?

The writer of Hebrews puts it this way. “For it was fitting for Him, for whom are all things and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons to glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings. For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren, saying: ‘I will declare Your name to My brethren; In the midst of the assembly I will sing praise to You.’” Hebrews 2:10-12

Again, the word amazing comes to mind. The Lord who is God, the One who breathed the world into existence, the very Word of God who became flesh and dwelt among us, our Savior, the one to whom every knee will bow in heaven and on earth … calls us brethren. He is not ashamed to call those He has redeemed brethren. We become brothers and sisters of our own Savior through the adoptive work of the Father, as accomplished by the atoning work of the Son.


I had some young men come by my house today and we spent an hour talking together and sharing Scriptures. The difference in belief we kept coming back to was whether we have some work or shared responsibility in our salvation. I was thinking about this in relation to adoption. How could I make myself a child of God and sister of Christ? I was only a slave and a slave is at the mercy of its master. But, by the grace of God, He sought me out and brought me into His family with all the privileges that entails. If you're a believer, did you know you're adopted by God? Aren't you glad?

4 comments:

  1. I've been reading Deuteronomy, and Moses discourses to the Israelites also make it crystal clear that Israel is also His CHOSEN people. He didn't choose them because they were a large nation, or a mighty nation - He chose them so they might glorify Him :).

    John 1 also makes it crystal clear that it isn't by the will of man that we become children of God, but by His will. There aren't words enough to capture His grace!

    Great post :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I talk more about His choosing His people in my first post on the theology of adoption. Some are offended at the language you used, but you're right, there is no way around it. His sovereign choosing is written all over the Bible. Jacob I have loved and Esau I have hated. That's such strong language! Romans 9 takes it even another step and shows how God glorifies Himself not just by bestowing mercy upon those He wills, but also by bestowing His wrath on those He wills, thereby magnifying His holiness and justice. Deep stuff. It just leaves me humble and grateful to be among those He adopted into His family! Thanks for the insightful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how adoption of a child is such a testament of our own adoption into Christ's family. I think it's such a visual, literal picture of the gospel for my children who often struggle to grasp it. We are so glad to be able to point to our (newly begun) adoption journey when it comes time to talk about becoming part of God's family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm excited to follow along with you, as well!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.