Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Exercise with a newborn

It's always a bit of a challenge to make time for exercise with a newborn.

Here's what I've been doing:

1.  When I take my 3 big kids to the gym for swim practice, I check my 4 and 2 yr old into the nursery for an hour.  I set Calvin in his carseat in front of me where I can keep a close eye on him while I log a few miles on the treadmill.  When he starts to fuss, I speed up :) .  We also enjoy doing stomach crunches together.  His cute little face serves both as a distraction from the pain and as a constant reminder that I need to do more crunches!  Then after I get my exercise we retire to the lockeroom for a nursing session.

2.  I'm always prepared for a quick trip to the park. 


My 11, 9, 7, and 4 yr olds' scooters and the double stroller for my 2 yr old and newborn.
I do have to be a little creative when it comes to stowing my groceries, but it's well worth it!  The kids would probably prefer to ride bikes, but I don't think I could get our garage door closed with a loaded bike rack on back!

What do you do to get back in shape after having a baby?

1 comment:

  1. Good for you exercising so soon, but don't overdo it!
    I didn't start exercising seriously until Sam was one!

    Enjoy the baby.....he is just precious! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.