Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A story of two breastplates


This morning I was reading in Exodus 28 about the priestly garments and for the first time the priest's breastplate really registered with me.

"You shall make a breastplate of judgment... So Aaron shall bear the names of the sons of Israel on the breastplate of judgment over his heart, when he goes into the holy place, as a memorial before the Lord continually."  Exodus 28:15 & 29

Aaron, the priest, served as mediator between Israel and God.  The names of the 12 tribes of Israel were written on this breastplate of judgment that Aaron wore as a reminder that all Israel had sinned and was guilty before God, deserving His judgment.  As the priest or intercessor, Aaron bore that judgment for Israel symbolically during worship when he offered up the sacrifices Israel brought before the Lord.

Jesus is our High Priest.  We need no other mediator with God. 

"For such a High Priest was fitting for us, who is holy, harmless, and undefiled, separate from sinners, and has become higher than the heavens; who does not need daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifices, first for His own sins and then for the peoples', for this He did once for all when He offered up Himself."  Hebrews 7:26-27  

And because Christ bore our sins before God and brought the judgment we deserved upon Himself, we who are in Christ no longer need to wear the breastplate of judgment.  Praise be to God, because of Christ's work, we are able to wear the breastplate of righteousness.

"Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness..."  Ephesians 6:10

1 comment:

  1. Good post. Thanks for sharing. And good job on keeping up with the Bible challenge!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.