Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Infertility as a national curse


A friend of mine wrote a blog post recently in which he talked about the blessings of obedience and curses of disobedience as outlined in Deuteronomy 28.  I added that fertility is listed among the blessings and curses- verses 4, 11, and 18.  If you believe that believing Gentiles have been grafted into Israel (Romans 11), then these blessings and curses still stand- at least as general principles. 

"But it shall come to pass, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord your God, to observe carefully all His commandments and His statutes which I command you today, that all these curses will come upon you and overtake you: ... Cursed shall be the fruit of your body and the produce of your land..."  Deuteronomy 28:15 and 18a. 

I wrote about our food crisis the other day, so today I'll focus on infertility as a curse. 

As a nation, we've chosen...

abortion over adoption

gay rights over the right to life


feminism over femininity


humanism over human life


materialism over motherhood


creature comforts over procreation

Where's the curse, you might ask?  The ironic thing is most Americans don't even see our declining birth rates as a curse. 

Who's going to fund our retirement?  Have you thought about that? 

Who's going to pay for our healthcare in our old age?

Social security is bankrupt.  In theory, it should have worked IF the workforce had continued to increase.  But, it hasn't.  If it weren't for steady rates of immigration, we'd be in serious trouble.

What about the church?  Is it any different than the world? 

The church in our country unfortunately resembles the culture.  It is not holy, or set apart to the Lord, but mainly looks mainstream.  The church endorses birth control, natural family planning, two household incomes, and all the -isms listed above.  Incredibly there are even churches that won't take a stand against abortion.

And as a nation, we are suffering for it, even if we don't know it yet.  We will.

Did you know muslim birth rates worldwide remain high?  Think about that for a minute.  So while Christians are having fewer children, muslims are having more children (same birth rates, lower death rates). 

But be encouraged...

There is an antidote to our sin.  Christ came to bridge the gulf between God's holiness and our sin.  Someday, those who are in Christ will live forever in the Promised Land.  Until then we are destined to live among the curse of sin.  The church, however, should be a glimpse of heaven on earth.  The church should be set apart for the Lord.  Let us be different.  Let us be obedient in the midst of this crooked and perverse generation.

2 comments:

  1. I agree. I would love more children but hubby worries about providing for all of us. (we have 6 ATM) We'll have to see what God has in store for us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all that is wrong with our country. When I did SOAP yesterday for B90Days, I used Leviticus 18:22. Only my husband commented. Does no one else see what the Bible says?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.