Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Our pre-K curriculum

American Boy (4) is a pre-schooler this year.  He's just so smart and eager to learn!

Here's our pre-K plan:

American Boy (4) will actually go to a pre-K two mornings a week.  I know this is taboo with many homeschoolers, but we love this preschool that's a ministry extension of a nearby church.  And it gives our energetic boy two mornings a week of not being shushed all morning (I require him to play quietly while the big kids are studying).

Reading- Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons-  I highly recommend this book.  I've used it for American Boy's three older siblings and he's already well on his way to reading since we started this summer.  I love that my part is scripted for me!  This helps me to stay patient and calm with my budding reader even when I'm bursting with frustration on the inside.

Bible-  American Boy just started on his TAG memory work this spring when he turned 4.  Last year we did morning devotions while the two younger children were still in bed.  This year American Boy will get to participate.  We use various resources each morning such as TAG books, Institute of Basic Life Principles character booklets 1-6, and other books such as Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends

Five in a Row-  I love the Five in a Row curriculum and will be doing volume 1 with American Boy this year.  He is such an active boy and is just now wanting to sit patiently while I read him a story.  The FIAR curriculum helps to develop listening comprehension (wish I'd used it with my 7 yr old!) as well as providing a spring board for varied learning and discussions of first-rate picture books.

Art-  Private art lessons.  (This is American Boy's first year for art- as you can probably tell.)


Learning stations-  I've learned so much from so many of you on how to do this.  My sweet friend Noelle at Triplesmiles sets up fun learning activities for her kids each day.  Kimberly at Raising Olives has great wisdom to offer on multi-level homeschooling and Tara at Too Many Kids in the Bathtub has actually given me some wonderful pre-K learning activities.  Learning stations will help keep my American Boy and Baby Lu productively occupied during "school".  Learning stations will include puzzles and games such as rainbow road, counting games, color sorting, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.