Saturday, January 28, 2012

My new routine and my husband's weight loss

This has nothing to do with my new routine, except that I've been very sleepy.  Aren't they cute?  Lucie sleeps in a crib next to her sister's bed, when she isn't in our bed.  I'm not sure whose idea this was, but it made for a great photo op.

My new routine has me up at 4:30 so I can swim at 5.  This is great for getting an early start on my day, but I'm worthless at the end of the day.  I haven't had the energy to blog or even to hang out with my family.  They all watched a movie last night and I went to bed early.  I'm going to aim for swimming 3-4 times a week, but the funny thing is, even when I do wake up late (6 instead of 4:30) I'm still wanting to go to bed early!  And it doesn't matter if I get a nap, I'm still tired out by 10.  I guess I have a new bedtime.  My new schedule has allowed me to stay on top of laundry, get my 90 day Bible reading done early, and made it easier to start our school days on time, but my "free time" in the evenings has been completely eaten up.  I guess that's a good thing, but I've made very little progress on the books I'm reading.

In more exciting news, my husband is losing weight and feeling better than he has in a long time.  After reading Why We Get Fat... by Gary Taubes we decided he would go on the new Atkins diet.  He loves it because he doesn't feel hungry all the time, he gets to eat real food like meat and eggs and the weight is coming off.  Better than that, his blood pressure is in the normal range for his age in the first time since I've known him.  Seriously, he had high blood pressure when we married.  I'm anxious for him to go to the doctor and get a lipid profile done.  I can't wait to see his triglyceride number.  I think he's lost 15 pounds so far and it's been about a month.

For those of you who have tried Atkins before, the main difference is you're now allowed unlimited leafy green vegetables from the beginning.  Actually, there are lots of veggies he can have, just not starchy ones.  My husband is still in the inductive phase and wants to stay there until he loses another 10 lbs or so.  The kids and I have been trying to get him to workout.  We may wear him down eventually.  I have a feeling he's going to come back from this ski trip with the kids wanting to get in shape.

I've been really missing blogging, but I guess I'm in a new phase : )!  It probably won't last long.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about being so tired at night! I am getting up at 5, and I would like to go to bed at 9PM. It doesn't happen! I fall asleep lying down with Sam every single night!

    I am so happy that your husband is losing weight. I also hope that he will add exercise to his routine.

    I am on Day 48 of Insanity! Can you believe that? I was so scared of phase 2, but I have done much better than I thought. I have not missed a single day so far. I still have to workout today, but I am going to do it tonight.

    I know what you mean about not having time to blog. My days are fast and full, and while I want to blog, there is just not much time to do it!

    And, yes we night school. I read Leah's and Sam's long read aloud book at bedtime.

    Have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.