Friday, April 29, 2011

90 Day Bible Challenge- Why I'm doing it yet again.

If it's true that God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow, why keep reading the Bible?  It's an honest question, especially considering the culture's been there, done that mentality.  I felt that way for a long time.  Sure I love God's Word, that's why I'm so into Bible study and I even read the whole thing cover to cover- back in 1986!  I had bought the t-shirt so to speak and wore it proudly.  I see several problems with that line of thinking.

1.  God's Word is never-changing, yet it's work is never done.  As long as I'm a sinner in need of sanctification, I need a steady diet of Bible. 

"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work."  2 Timothy 3:16


"I have stored up your Word in my heart, that I might not sin against you."  (Psalm 119:11)

2.  God's Word is alive which makes it different from every other piece of literature.  You may appreciate Shakespeare or Dickens, but once you know A Tale of Two Cities, you know it.  It's not like that with the Bible.  It's not just a matter of assimilating facts.  God uses His Word and His Spirit to work together in us.  

"For the Word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and spirit, of joints and marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart."  Hebrews 4:12

3.  We find blessing and joy in God's Word. 

"The law of the Lord is perfect, reviving the soul; the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple; the precepts of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes."  Psalm 19:7-8

____________________________________________________

And besides all that, my mother once told me "good things bear repeating".  Or maybe she told me that more than once : ).  Anyway, I'm back at it and would love for anyone to join me.  I'm reading May through July, which is actually 92 days, but close enough in my book.

I'm doing a few things differently this time around.  I'm reading the Holman Christian Standard version this time (I like reading a different version each time) and I'm using my two year old's my ipad.



A friend at church told me about this youversion app for my ipad.  Youversion has 41 Bible translations in 22 languages and over 50 reading plans.  And it's all free!  I can track my progress on my ipad or online at http://www.youversion.com/.  Cool, huh?

I realize the 90 day Bible challenge isn't the only way to read your Bible, but it works for me.  Happy Bible reading, whatever plan you use!

1 comment:

  1. I agree! I will be doing round three with the online group again in 2 months.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.