Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Update

Most of you know we sent our kids to school this year, so I guess this isn't really a homeschool blog anymore.  I don't know if I'm coming back to blogging for good, or if I just have lots to share right at the moment.  I do want to give a brief update on the kids and then will blog about my recent kitchen projects in future days including making almond milk, almond extract, vanilla extract, Ezekiel bread, venison loin, tahini, hummus, and more.

Our two oldest kids, Kurtis (13) and Gracie (11), went to a local private faith-based prep school this year and are enjoying it and doing well.  Kurtis is an 8th grader and Gracie's a 6th grader.  I can't tell you what a relief it has been to this homeschool mom of 6 years that I didn't mess up my kids!  They are excelling academically and in every way.  They both continue to swim and play the piano.  Gracie also joined student council and orchestra (she and her dad both recently took up the cello).  They continue to bring us joy and make us laugh.  Kurtis remarked recently that if he had Thanksgiving to do all over again, he'd eat a lot more pie.  Gracie thoughtfully informed me the other day, when I asked her and her sister to pick up their dolls for the 5th time, that it was kind of a long-term game.  Earlier today they were messing around on the piano together making beautiful music and I thought what treasured times these are.

Mia (9) and Wyatt (6) went to our local public elementary school for 4th and 1st grades this year.  I had really struggled with Mia academically and was worried she'd flunk out.  I needn't have worried.  She's doing great, though she still prefers climbing trees and playing in the mud to doing homework.  Some of her memorable quotes regarding school are, "Mom, I'd love to make better grades, I just don't know how!" and "Mom, you're going to be so proud of my progress report.  It looks just like Wyatt's, except for one 89."  Of course, Wyatt, the one who doesn't share our gene pool, is the genius of the family!

Lucie (4) and Calvin (2) go to pre-school at a local church two mornings a week and Calvin has a very rigorous therapy schedule with ECI coming into the home for PT, OT, and speech therapy every week and also going to another PT/OT therapist each week.  Lucie keeps us all on our toes and Calvin has made great strides this year.

We moved our family of 8 about 2 miles away into a brand new house.  What a job!  We didn't realize we were hoarders til it came time to go through every drawer, cabinet, and closet.  We still haven't moved our garage or attic over.  Yesterday my husband took a deer to the old house and hung it in the garage.  I'm sure the neighbors were thrilled!  Hopefully we'll get it ready to sell soon.

That's what we've been up to.  I've really missed all my friends in blogdom and am so happy to have found some of you on facebook!  I'm going to be messing around with the blog for a few days so check back.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you are back....even if only briefly! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.