Thursday, January 3, 2013

Making Almond Extract


I can't remember if I blogged about making vanilla extract last year, but I'm about to make it again and will take pictures as I go this time.  A couple of days ago I got the itch to make almond extract.  When I excitedly told my mom what I was doing, she asked the obvious, "What do you do with almond extract?" Let's not get caught up in details, shall we.  Making extract is so much fun and "almond" seemed the natural second flavor to venture into, after "vanilla".  I've read that almond extract is wonderful in baked goods and frosting.  If you have any other ideas, please share.

All you need to make almond extract is vodka and almonds.  Pretty simple.

I used 24 almonds for 750 ml vodka.  I read 12 almonds for 16 ounces and since 750 ml is more like 24 ounces and I thought a few extra almonds couldn't hurt, I went with 24.  Nothing magic about it.  I call it Celee-math.

It's better to use vodka in a glass bottle and go with a higher proof.  This is 80 proof.

First, blanch almonds by pouring boiling water over them for 30 seconds to 1 minute max.  Then you can easily remove the skins.  Chop almonds (I did this the old fashioned way), and put them in the vodka.  You have to pour off a little of the vodka to make room for the almonds.  I poured mine down the sink so as not to repeat the mistake I made last year with my vitamins.  Long story.


Incubate in a cool, dark cabinet for 2 months or longer.  Strain (I used a paper funnel with built-in strainer at the bottom used for straining paint) then bottle in amber bottles.  I like 4 oz bottles.  I'll keep you posted on the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.