Friday, February 24, 2012

Playing Catch-up

There's an Indigo Girl song that says something about losing one day and a life-time slips away.  I feel like that's what's happened to me.  I can't even pinpoint the day it all started, but somehow I've ended up behind.  Calvin was really sick for over 3 weeks, so maybe it started then.  I was out of town 3 days last week which didn't help.   I'm not sure how many days behind in 90 day Bible I am now.  I think I was 5 or 6 days behind and I think I'm now just 2 or 3 days behind.  I hadn't taken any grace days yet, so it's really not that bad.  I'm also trying to catch-up on read-aloud with my kids.  We're actually ahead in one book, but behind in others (the ones I'm not as crazy about.)  My husband suggested I have Monk and Twinkle Toes catch-up without me in one book, which I think is a great idea.

I'm also behind in blogging.  There are several posts I'd like to write and I'm hoping to have time this weekend.  I also need to catch-up on reading blogs.  My blogging has really suffered since I began getting up at 4:30.  I guess my main blogging time came during afternoon nap and in the evenings after the kids went to bed.  Now I'm either sleeping during those times or trying to get to sleep!  I love my morning routine, though, and will not be giving it up.  I get started on my Bible reading while sitting in the parking lot of the gym where I swim.  Then I swim about 45 minutes.  Afterwards I drive through Starbucks where I get a tall vanilla latte (my new drink- it has half the calories and sugar of a grande white mocha, my old drink) and read the Bible a few more minutes while destroying the evidence drinking my drink.  Then I come home, shower, make breakfast and get the kids up between 6:15 and 6:30.

I think the main culprit in my getting behind with the kids is running errands during read-aloud time.  I've changed the way I shop.  I used to go to the grocery store once a week and buy everything we needed.  Now I go to Natural Grocers, which is closer to our house, 3 or 4 times a week.  I'm not sure why I can't manage to stock-up, but it seems like every other day we need more fruit and vegetables, etc.  Spring has also been showing its face around here and the temptation to sneak out for a quick walk has been too strong to resist on several occasions.  The kids have been so great about staying on their schedules, I just need to get  better about keeping to mine!

What do you do to catch-up when you get behind?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
My photo
I'm an on-the-run mom to 6 kids who studied and taught exercise science in a previous life. I love all things running, nutrition, and health-related. I usually run at zero dark thirty in the morning and am often quite hungry before, during, and after my run, but I live a rich, full, blessed life with my children, family, and friends. My faith in God is my anchor, and looking to Him and His promises allows me to live fully even when life circumstances are difficult. While running gives me an appetite, my desire is to hunger and thirst for righteousness more than for physical food.